Makes approx 16
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup corn cut off the cob, or frozen
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup Daybreak Mills Extra Light Pastry Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch pepper
- oil for frying
- Grate the zucchinis and onion. Put them into a colander and sprinkle over some salt. Toss and leave while you prepare the rest.
- If using fresh corn, cut the kernels from the cob. If using frozen, make sure it is thawed and drained.
- Grate the mozzarella and grate the parmesan.
- Squeeze as much liquid as you can from the zucchini and onion and discard the liquid. Put the drained zucchini and onion in a bowl with the corn, mozzarella, parmesan, egg, flour, baking powder and pepper. Mix well so well combined and ingredients seem pretty evenly distributed, without breaking up the zucchini too much.
- Warm a thin layer of olive oil in a medium skillet/frying pan over a medium heat (you can do more/less at once in a smaller/bigger skillet, as you find easier to manage). Grab a small handful of the mixture, ball it loosely and flatten slightly in your hand. Place in oil and gently flatten.
- Leave the fritters to cook a couple minutes (around 3, but will depend a little on pan/heat) until you can see the underside starting to brown. Turn over and cook a couple more minutes on the other side. Remove from the pan and set aside, ideally covered, while you cook further batches. I like to place them on paper towel to soak up any extra grease.
- I suggest serving them with Thai Chili Sauce but really, make it your own!